Writing For Publication – Part II
March 8, 2016
Location: NJHA Conference and Event Center, 760 Alexander Rd, Princeton, NJ
Registration: 8:30 am; Program: 9 am – 3 pm
Leslie H. Nicoll, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN
President and Owner, Maine Desk LLC
Editor-in-Chief, CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing and Nurse Author & Editor
Healthcare professionals in all settings—clinical practice, academia, and management—have exciting ideas and innovations that would be beneficial to share with others. However, many are not familiar with the writing and publishing process and thus sharing through the professional literature, a traditional communication channel, can be a daunting task. In this workshop, Dr. Leslie Nicoll will use “Manuscript Success” as a method to demystify the publishing process and provide practical evidence-based strategies for achieving publication goals. Using presentation, audience participation, questions, and discussion, participants will gain knowledge and confidence in how to write manuscripts that will be favorably received by editors and reviewers. Identifying and overcoming pitfalls and ethical blunders will also be discussed.
At the conclusion of this workshop, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the five steps in the Manuscript Success process.
- Define “journal due diligence” and describe its importance.
- Compare and contrast subscription-based, open access, and predatory journals.
- Describe at least three different types of plagiarism that many occur in scholarly writing.
- Create a realistic timeline for developing a scholarly portfolio.
Nurses, physicians, directors of quality, pharmacists, long-term care administrators, assisted living administrators, clinical and non-clinical educators.